Injured? Free Personal Injury Consultation (573) 644-6090

Can You Receive Compensation for a Hit and Run?

Missouri law requires that any motorist involved in a car accident stop immediately and swap information with others involved. Sadly, many motorists are either too distracted or too afraid to stop. They instead flee the scene, leaving injured victims behind with no visible means of getting help.

In the typical car accident case, a victim can make a claim for compensation on the at-fault driver’s insurance. But that’s now out of the question unless you find the driver who struck you. Many victims reasonably fear that they will have no way of paying their medical bills or getting their car fixed.

If you were injured in a hit and run, you have our sympathy. Receiving compensation will be a challenge, but our Jefferson City, MO personal injury lawyer identifies 5 possible ways to defray your costs.

Use Medical Payments Coverage

Medical payments insurance, called “med pay,” is optional in Missouri. But if you obtained a Med Pay policy, it is terrific insurance to have. It will pay for medical benefits on a no-fault basis. Many people use med pay benefits to receive immediate medical care or to pay the deductible on their health insurance. Check your insurance coverage to see if you elected med pay benefits.

Use Your Health Insurance

If you have health insurance, then you can use it to cover the costs of medical care to treat car accident injuries. You might have health insurance through a job, or you possibly bought an individual policy on an exchange. Others will have government health insurance, such as Medicare or Medicaid.

Get Your Car Repaired Using Collision Insurance

What about damage to your car? If you have collision coverage, you can use it to pay for repairs. Most people have collision coverage if they have a car loan. In fact, most banks won’t extend a loan unless the car buyer gets it. Collision coverage should pay to fix any car damage caused by an accident, regardless of fault.

Tap Your Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Missouri requires that insurance policies come with uninsured motorist insurance. This is another excellent benefit which comes in handy if you are injured in a hit and run. Generally, you should be covered for at least $25,000 in bodily injury insurance per person, with a maximum of $50,000 available for all people injured in one crash.

Unlike med pay, however, uninsured motorist coverage only applies if you were not at fault for the collision. But this insurance will also cover lost income and pain and suffering.

Help the Police Find the Driver

Police should be eager to find a hit-and-run driver, so provide all relevant information that you possess, such as the color of the car and where it was headed. Police can also check nearby businesses to see if their surveillance video captured the car involved.

Call a Major Car Accident Lawyer for Assistance

Call & Gentry Law Group, LLC has helped many hit-and-run victims obtain compensation following their accidents. Please contact us to schedule a time to meet by calling (573) 644-6090.