Jefferson City Personal Injury Lawyer
Break Up without Breaking the Bank
If you are considering divorce in Jefferson City, you need an experienced lawyer by your side. Divorce is not as simple as signing a few pieces of paper. Instead, it requires planning and the legal experience that only a Jefferson City divorce lawyer can provide.
At Call & Gentry Law Group, LLC, we work with clients to better understand their goals in divorce. And then we develop a plan regarding child custody, child support, the division of marital assets, and alimony. Please contact us today. Our Jefferson City divorce lawyer will be happy to discuss your legal options in a confidential consultation.
No two divorces are alike. Some couples can amicably decide to divorce and split up their assets, as well as create a parenting plan that works for them. Other couples, by contrast, will fight tooth and nail over all of these issues—and more!
Our Jefferson City divorce lawyer can help anyone seeking divorce. In addition to being experienced family law litigators, we are also effective negotiators. We can work overtime to get your difficult divorce settled without need of litigation. Negotiation is a process that requires some give and take, and it might not be ideal for everybody. But for many couples, settling a divorce outside of court saves them time and money; it also leads to more effective co-parenting in the future.
Contested Divorce in Jefferson City
You have a contested divorce if you and your spouse disagree on any of the following issues:
- Child custody. Which parent will have the legal right to decide educational, medical, and religious issues involving your children? Both? Only one? Who will the children spend time with during the week and during vacations?
- Child support. How much will the non-custodial parent pay the parent with primary custody? Missouri has guidelines which spell out how to calculate child support, but there might be reasons to depart from the guidelines. Does your child have high or unusual medical expenses? Educational needs?
- Marital property. Missouri law calls for a “just” division of marital property and debts. How will you divide what you own, along with your debts? Who wants the house? Who should pay for student loans?
- Spousal maintenance (alimony). Will one spouse pay maintenance to the other after the divorce? How much? For how long?
These issues can be sticking points in a divorce, and some couples can never reach an agreement. Instead, they need a judge to decide these issues in a trial.
The Divorce Process
A Jefferson City divorce is a multi-step process. Our lawyers can help every step of the way:
- Preparing to file for divorce. You should gather important documents, such as all financial records, proof of income, debts, and certificates of title. You should also plan a budget to determine how much money you will need after divorce.
- Securing a lawyer. A lawyer can fill out paperwork, but also helps you think through what you want in your divorce. Do you want the family home, or will you be happier with other assets, like retirement accounts? You should decide what to ask for before you file for divorce.
- Filing a divorce petition. This kicks off the divorce. Your lawyer will identify the correct court to file in and will serve copies on your spouse.
- Waiting for an answer. Your spouse has a chance to respond to your petition. He or she can request alimony and submit a proposed parenting plan.
- Requesting temporary orders. You will probably need temporary orders for child custody, support, and other support issues. These orders will last for the duration of the divorce.
- Attending mediation. A judge will probably send you to mediation to talk about your dispute with a trained mediator. Mediation can sometimes help couples surmount their disagreements and get them on the same page.
- Engaging in discovery. You can request information from your spouse and even have them sit for a deposition. Discovery can be simple or complex, depending on your situation.
- Continuing settlement negotiations. Negotiations can continue outside of mediation and might eventually result in a mutual agreement on issues like custody.
- Going to trial. A judge will decide any issues you can’t settle yourself after receiving evidence and hearing from witnesses.
Why You Should Choose Call & Gentry:
- We have deep experience in divorce and related family law disputes.
- We are skilled negotiators who can bring squabbling spouses to the negotiation table in good faith.
- Our team is made up of talented litigators who can fight in court for your rights.
- Our lawyers have the investigatory skills you need to uncover hidden assets.
- We work closely with various expert witnesses, such as forensic accountants, child psychologists, and others who can provide critical testimony in a divorce.
- We stay abreast of changes in the law that affect Jefferson City divorces.
Divorce can feel overwhelming. Let us relieve the stress and allow you to focus on your family and move on with your life.
Our Focus is You
We work with clients from a variety of professional and social backgrounds. Our experience is comprehensive and includes:
- High net-worth divorces in Jefferson City, Missouri. Couples with large assets have unique needs in a divorce. Contact us to find out how we can help.
- Uncontested divorces in Jefferson City, Missouri. We can help with an uncontested divorce if you contact us today.
- Contested divorces in Jefferson City, Missouri. We are an extension of your voice in the contested divorce process and can present evidence in a compelling way to a judge. Call us to find out what steps to take.
- Professional divorces in Jefferson City, Missouri. Doctors, accountants, lawyers, and other professionals need a divorce lawyer sensitive to their concerns, including client confidentiality.
- Jefferson City, Missouri divorce modification lawyers. You might need to modify child custody or alimony after receiving your divorce decree. Call us to find out how to go about this.
Speak with our Jefferson City Divorce Lawyers Today
If you are considering divorce in Jefferson City, please contact Call & Gentry Law Group today. We can meet for a confidential consultation to discuss what to expect. It’s never too early to meet with a lawyer to protect yourself.
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Professional Licensing
- Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
- Criminal Law
- Jefferson City Business Litigation Lawyer
- Business & Corporate Law
- Governmental Relations & Contracts
- Unfair Wage & Labor Practices
- Litigation & Appellate Work
- Defense of Window & Door Manufacturers
- Missouri Medical Malpractice Defense
- Workers’ Compensation
Jason was great! Sheila, your communication was awesome!
Overall Excellent - not enough words to express how appreciative we are of you. You didn't treat us "clients." Please stay in touch Jason. We consider you a friend! ”
E.S. and B.S.
This was the first time I needed a lawyer, and the best experience!
It was a long process but Jason (and of course Sheila) were amazing! Thank you so much!
2nd Largest Settlement in the entire state of Missouri
3219 Emerald Lane Ste 1000, Jefferson City, MO 65109
MAP & DIRECTIONS