Osage Beach Boat Accident Lawyer
Helping to Keep Your Family Afloat after an Accident on the Water
Osage Beach is a popular destination for boaters, thanks to our friendly neighbors and proximity to the Lake of the Ozarks. Countless residents also enjoy a lazy afternoon out on a boat, whether relaxing with family and friends or trying to catch fish. Unfortunately, many trips out on the water end in tragedy. At Call & Gentry Law Group, we receive phone calls from people injured in collisions or other accidents out on the water. Contact us if you would like to discuss possible legal remedies. Our experienced Osage Beach boat accident lawyers can explain our services in a confidential (and free) meeting.
Missouri Boat Accident Statistics
Missouri State Highway Patrol collects statistics on boating accidents across the state and publishes an annual report. For 2022, the statistics show:
- 77 people were injured and 17 people were killed in 152 recreational boating accidents.
- The 2022 numbers were much lower than the year before, when 122 people were injured and 28 people killed.
- The period stretching from May to August accounted for 75% boating accidents.
- Saturday and Sunday were the leading days for accidents.
- 97 out of 178 boat operators involved in a crash had no boater education.
What Causes Boat Accidents
State Highway Patrol also collects information on the leading factors that contribute to accidents:
- Operator inexperience
- Failure to keep proper lookout
- Operator inattention
- Operating too close to another vessel
- Operating too close to a dock
- Water conditions, such as chop or currents
- Excessive speed
- Weather conditions, including fog or rain
- Passenger or skier behavior
- Mechanical failure, including problems with fuel or electricity
- Drug or alcohol use
These factors contribute to an array of accidents, including vessels striking docks or other boats, running aground, capsizing, or catching on fire.
Can You Sue for a Boat Accident?
Anyone hurt in an accident should secure legal assistance. Our firm can analyze every fact known and see if you have a legal case.
You can bring a personal injury claim if someone’s negligence caused the accident. Examples include:
- Distracted boat operators
- Drunk or impaired boat operators
- Operators who pilot too closely to docks, other vessels, or the shore
- Owners who fail to fix their boats or stock basic safety equipment like life vests
- Rental companies who fail to thoroughly inspect their boats before leasing them
In other cases, you might bring a legal claim for a manufacturing or design defect. Missouri allows accident victims to use strict liability law in these cases.
Every case turns on the quality of evidence. Ideally, we can compile enough evidence to reconstruct what happened. We typically rely on witnesses, boat inspections, and any video of the crash. Other evidence includes weather reports and statements people made to the police. Contact our firm as soon a s possible so we can roll up our sleeves and get to work.
Boating accidents are dangerous. They can happen at high speeds and sometimes far from shore. In a car wreck, badly injured victims can at least stumble around and get away from their car. With a boat accident, you might end up drowning.
Some of the most serious injuries include:
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Brain injuries caused by lack of oxygen
- Electrocution injuries
Anyone tossed over the side of a boat could end up drowning, especially if they were knocked unconscious. Oxygen deprivation results in permanent brain injuries because brain tissue has died. Your injuries will depend on which part of the brain was injured. Common disabilities include speech problems, physical impairments, and memory loss.
Compensation for Your Injuries
You should seek compensation for all medical treatment, lost wages, and any damage to your boat. Remember to preserve bills and repair estimates, which help your legal team calculate your damages.
Some injuries could be so serious that you require ongoing medical care. Think of a hypoxic brain injury, which can lead to permanent disabilities. Someone who almost drowns might be in a vegetative state, or else they need lifelong assistance at home with cooking, bathing, and cleaning. A client with a permanent disability might never work again.
We also seek compensation for pain and suffering. Bodily injuries often cause immense suffering, including sleeplessness, pain, inconvenience, and depression. Our lawyers know how much people with similar injuries have received for their pain and suffering, and that experience informs our strategy.
Call & Gentry Has Your Back
Boating accident claims require careful planning. You don’t want to wait too long to seek compensation, but you also don’t want to negotiate without knowing all the facts. Our lawyers will jump in and:
- Talk to witnesses, review medical records, and inspect the vessels involved in the accident. We want to understand what happened and why.
- Review any toxicology reports if an intoxicated or impaired boater caused your accident.
- Discuss your physical pain and emotional distress, which helps us decide how much compensation to seek.
- Open discussions with the other side and their insurance company over who is at fault for the accident.
- Complete paperwork and pay attention to deadlines involved in your case.
- Negotiate aggressively for a favorable settlement package.
- Litigate your claim in court, where appropriate, to vindicate your rights.
Choosing the right lawyer is a critical step. Contact us to schedule a meeting. We have deep personal injury experience and understand the laws that apply to boat accidents.
Reporting Boat Accidents
Missouri law requires that you report any accident involving a boat to the Water Patrol division. You have 5 days from the date of the accident.
You must report any accident within 48 hours if:
- Someone disappears
- Anyone suffers bodily injuries
- A person dies in the accident
- The accident causes at least $500 worth of damage to a boat
Failure to report the accident in time can result in penalties, so you should not delay.
Speak with an Osage Beach Boat Accident Lawyer
Call & Gentry has served the Osage Beach community for decades. We understand that boating accidents disrupt lives and put strain on families. Our lawyers are committed to helping accident victims obtain financial compensation from the person responsible for their accident. Call us today to schedule a consultation.
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Professional Licensing
- Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
- Criminal Law
- Jefferson City Business Litigation Lawyer
- Business & Corporate Law
- Governmental Relations & Contracts
- Unfair Wage & Labor Practices
- Litigation & Appellate Work
- Defense of Window & Door Manufacturers
- Missouri Medical Malpractice Defense
- Workers’ Compensation
Jason was great! Sheila, your communication was awesome!
Overall Excellent - not enough words to express how appreciative we are of you. You didn't treat us "clients." Please stay in touch Jason. We consider you a friend! ”
E.S. and B.S.
This was the first time I needed a lawyer, and the best experience!
It was a long process but Jason (and of course Sheila) were amazing! Thank you so much!
2nd Largest Settlement in the entire state of Missouri