Lake Ozark Boat Accident Lawyer
Throwing a Lifeline to Boat Accident Victims in Need of Compensation
Lake of the Ozarks draws thousands of people to our area each year to enjoy the water. An afternoon in a boat is a great way to reconnect with friends and nature, but dozens of people end up in the hospital after an accident. At Call & Gentry Law Group, LLC, our team of dedicated Lake Ozark boat accident lawyers can review whether you have a legal right to compensation after an accident. Contact us today.
What Causes Lake Ozark Boat Accidents?
Riding in a boat is not without risks. In 2022, 17 people died and another 77 were injured in recreational boating accidents in Missouri. Some of the most common accidents include:
- Collisions with vessels. Two or more watercrafts could collide, especially during the holidays when the waters are congested or when weather is poor. A collision can injure people in both vessels, some of whom might be tossed overboard.
- Running ashore. A boat might go ashore when a driver is confused or cannot see properly. Running around can also throw people out of the boat.
- Collisions with docks or other fixed objects. These are often serious accidents which cause traumatic injuries.
- Fires and explosions. Electrical wiring could cause a fire onboard, which is very dangerous since the boat might lack a fire extinguisher or other safety equipment.
- Flooding or drowning. A boat might sink due to mechanical issues or a hole in the hull. If the boat is near land, then people can swim to safety. But accidents are more dangerous the further the boat is from shore.
Regardless of how you were injured, contact a Lake Ozark boat accident attorney at our firm. We can review your ability to seek compensation for the accident and medical costs.
Boat Accident Injuries
Prevalent boating injuries include:
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Near-drowning injuries (hypoxic brain damage)
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Back injuries
Suing for Compensation from Boating Accidents
Anyone hurt in a boat accident should contact an Lake Ozarks boat accident lawyer at Call & Gentry. Missouri law gives you the right to seek compensation when someone else is at fault for a boat crash:
- Negligent operation of the vessel. The person manning the boat could have caused an accident negligently. Contributing factors include distraction, alcohol or drug use, fatigue, and aggressive actions, like going too fast or following another boat too closely. When a negligent operator is to blame, you can sue them.
- Mechanical defect. Faulty wiring can lead to fires, and other mechanical issues could cause a vessel to capsize or become unmanageable. The boat owner might be liable for failing to inspect and fix problems. A boat manufacturer could be liable if the defect existed when the boat came out of the factory.
- Missing life jackets, boats, or fire extinguishers. When safety equipment is missing, the boat owner could be liable. For example, a boat could catch on fire, but there is no lifeboat, so people jump in the water. It takes hours to be rescued, and some people suffer near-drowning injuries, which are probably the fault of the boat owner.
- Rental companies. If you rented a boat or jet ski, the rental company could be liable for any mechanical defects they knew about.
Compensation for Your Injuries
Boating injuries tend to be serious. Many people need to wait hours for rescue, during which their injuries worsen. You should seek financial compensation from the person, boat operators, or business responsible for the accident.
Our Lake Ozark personal injury attorneys have sought the following damages:
- Economic losses, including lost income and medical care to treat your injuries.
- Non-economic losses, for things like emotional distress, PTSD, physical pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property damage, for any damage caused to your watercraft.
The settlement amount our Missouri boat accident lawyer requests will depend on several factors, including the severity of your injuries. If you suffer a shoulder sprain, then you will receive less than someone who suffered permanent brain damage from the boating accident.
What Should You Do After a Boating Accident?
Any accident is scary, but boat accidents are particularly chaotic and terrifying because they usually happen on the open water. In addition to seeking help, many people face the immediate task of getting injured person to shore before they drown.
We recommend the following steps:
- Call for help. If someone has a cell phone on them, then call emergency services. You can also use the boat’s radio to send a distress signal.
- Rescue victims from the water, if you can. Don’t put yourself in danger but try to pull anyone thrown overboard back into the boat, if it is safe to do so. Even expert swimmers can become disoriented after an accident or be knocked unconscious.
- Put on a life jacket and await rescue. Your boat might still be working, in which case you can get to shore. Otherwise, you might need to await rescuing.
- Document the accident. To the extent that you can, we recommend taking pictures of the vessels involved or where your boat was hit. You can also collect witness information.
- Report the accident. The owner should contact the Water Patrol Division to report an accident within two days.
Our Lake Ozarks Boat Accident Lawyer Can Help with Your Personal Injury Claim
Our roster of award-winning personal injury lawyers provides an immediate lift to our boat accident clients by:
Finding evidence to use in your case. You might have been in too much of a panic to take pictures of the boat or talk to witnesses. Call us right away, and our boating accident attorneys can start compiling helpful evidence to boost your claim.
Reviewing the facts to determine liability. If a boat crashed into you, then the other operator could claim you are to blame. Our boating accident lawyers can untangle all the facts to assign fault.
Coordinating with insurance companies and doctors. Our Missouri boating accident attorney will fill out forms for the boat accident claim, gather medical information, and act as a gatekeeper, allowing you to recover.
Negotiating with all parties for a fair settlement against the boat operator, or whoever caused the boat collision. Our law firm can usually come to terms for reasonable compensation for your injuries, making a lawsuit unnecessary.
Call Our Lake Ozark Boat Accident Lawyers
Call & Gentry has handled various personal injury cases for hundreds of clients in Mid Missouri. Our skilled attorneys have the experience dealing with Missouri boating accidents, which makes us the perfect fit to handle your boat accident case. We can explain more about how we help boat accident victims in a free consultation.
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Professional Licensing
- Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
- Criminal Law
- Jefferson City Business Litigation Lawyer
- Business & Corporate Law
- Governmental Relations & Contracts
- Unfair Wage & Labor Practices
- Litigation & Appellate Work
- Defense of Window & Door Manufacturers
- Missouri Medical Malpractice Defense
- Workers’ Compensation
Jason was great! Sheila, your communication was awesome!
Overall Excellent - not enough words to express how appreciative we are of you. You didn't treat us "clients." Please stay in touch Jason. We consider you a friend! ”
E.S. and B.S.
This was the first time I needed a lawyer, and the best experience!
It was a long process but Jason (and of course Sheila) were amazing! Thank you so much!
2nd Largest Settlement in the entire state of Missouri